Monday, June 26, 2017

Grade 5 Farewell!

What a day it's been! Thanks to all the families for celebrating with us this afternoon! A big thank you to Alyssa and Emmy, who are now in Grade 8 for helping put up the farewell posters (I taught them K, Gr 3 AND 5), Mrs. Dent Scarcello for putting together a slideshow, Mrs. Knoll and the Grade 4s for singing, and Mrs. Rand, Mrs. Gregg, and Mrs. Lachance for handing out cake and lemonade. It was so much fun to see everyone get loads of signatures on their shirts today. Be sure to bring them back to get other teachers and students to sign them!

Here's Nicole's valedictorian speech:

Hello friends, families and grandparents!

Welcome to the grade 5 farewell. My name is Nicole and I am the valedictorian from Ms. Wasney’s class. I came to BHS when I was in kindergarten. It was such a great time. We have learned so much in the past 6 years. One of my favourite things was having a garden in our classroom in Grade 2! One memory I have from this year is going on a ZOO field trip! We saw so many animals they were super cute! Someone in my class suggested I do some jokes. So here’s one: what do you call a 3 humped camel… Pregnant!

In Grade 5, we have had many opportunities to be leaders. Some of us have been patrols or peacemakers. You also have an option to join S.P.I.N club. Let me tell you what S.P.I.N stands for. It stands for Support People In Need. It’s when you do fundraisers to support people in poor countries. For example all the grade fives did a water walk. A Water Walk is what girls have to do every day of their lives. They walk 6 km each day to get water from a very dirty river. They walk all the way back to their home and they have to drink it! One thing we did this year was Outdoor Classroom Day in May. Over one million kids across the world participated in it too!

At Bird’s Hill, we have been very lucky to be able to join so many sports and music clubs. Thank you to Mrs. Rand and Mrs. Knoll for spending so much time running these clubs. I had so much fun with the WSO club!

Here’s two things I will miss about BHS is… Ms. Wasney she is such a funny teacher. I really enjoyed everything in Room 31, especially art. I even made this art called the monster selfie art. It’s really cool and so cute. I will also miss my friends even though some of them will be going to Robert Andrews. I have made new friends throughout the years. They are really kind to me and I will miss them during the summer.

Thank you to all the teachers and Mrs. Palamar for teaching us everything in the past 6 years. And thank you to Mrs. Palamar for being an awesome principal in the school. Wishing you all the best in the future. Have a great summer! And I can’t wait to see you at Robert Andrews!

No comments: