Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Grade 5 Farewell!



Today, we had our Grade 5 Farewell! For the last few days, students have been busy working on their "Farewell Posters". I really love this end of the year activity. All of the Grade 5s are required to complete 5 lists to include on the posters. Then, they are each given a plain white poster board. The next part is all about personalizing the board! It's so neat to see how each student "jazzes" up their poster to showcase themselves with loads of creativity! What an awesome keepsake!

Students were totally excited for the Farewell ceremony that took place at 1:30 today. A BIG thank you to several students for helping with set-up in the morning, and clean-up this afternoon! The highlight was seeing everyone having classmates and teachers sign the shirts! See a video of the afternoon below!

Thank you to Mrs. Dent Scarcello for taking beautiful photos of each of the Grade 5s and creating a slideshow to share their memories of BHS.

Thank you to Jason for representing 5W as our valedictorian! Here is his speech:



My parents suggested that if I get nervous as I start my speech, to de-stress the moment, I should imagine all of you in your underwear . . . nice Happy Face boxers, Mr. Tustin!

Good afternoon friends and family, ladies and gentlemen, Mrs. Palamar, and the most excellent staff of teachers of Bird’s Hill School For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Jason Scott and I am honored to stand before you as class valedictorian for Ms. Wasney’s Grade 5 Class. I am proud to represent my fellow students and friends as we wrap up our time at Bird’s Hill School and move on to middle school.

As I began to think about what I was going to say today, I took a moment to look back at my kindergarten class picture. We’ve come a long way since back in the Fall of 2009! Mostly, we were strangers, meeting for the first time. We may have been shy, scared, perhaps had missing teeth and still had baby faces. Now, we are on the edge, the very edge of turning into teenagers!

In our last year, or class, Ms. Wasney’s class, had some good fun! Some of my classmates attended the WE Day concert. Our Christmas concert was a lot of fun and curling was the activity of the winter. The teachers got a lucky break our team, “Legends on Ice” (me, Brett Matt P, and Liam). A big shout out to Mr. Hargreaves for spending mornings and nights working on the rinks. The last event I’ll mention was our overnight stay at Camp Arnes! It was a lot of fun and I bet Mr. Anderson and Mr. Tustin still haven’t caught up on their sleep!

I’d like to now turn to the message I’d like to give my classmates. From an early age, not long after I started school at Bird’s Hill, a certain quote by Muhammad Ali has stayed with me and one I return to often:

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who
find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to
explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a
fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare.
Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

27 years ago, in Winnipeg, a child was born. Who knew he would become a 3 time Stanley Cup winner. Will there be another Jonathan Toews within our classroom? Impossible is nothing.

28 years ago, again in Winnipeg, a child was born. Who knew she would end up playing for Canada in the Women’s World Cup! Desiree Scott is an inspiration to all young soccer players Impossible is nothing.

Of course, I chose athletes, but what will YOU aspire to be? A doctor, an artist, a teacher, a coach? How about a police officer, maybe an actress? But if you have any doubts, remember, Impossible is NOTHING.

I would like to recognize all the staff in the school. If we have successes in life, whether it’s throwing a ball right, singing the right note, speaking another language, learning about our country and its past, knowing what 20x5 is, or maybe just reading a good book, it’s because of our great start at a great school . . . Bird’s Hill.

I need to wrap things up now, I’m craving cake. Thanks to all my classmates for being there when others need them; that’s great friendship! Thanks to all the parents for putting up with all of us crazy kids. Bird’s Hill School . . . thanks for the memories, experiences, laughs and lessons.

I hope to see you all at Robert Andrews in the Fall. I hope you have a happy and safe summer! Thank you!



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The farewell was so much fun. Going around signing t-shirts was Awesome!!
-Aimie

Anonymous said...

I really liked the Farewell. I wish I wasn't leaving Birds Hill but I have to. I also liked Jason's valedictorian speech.
-Brett

Anonymous said...

Hey ms.wasney

I loved the farewell im going to miss this school though.

Did you have fun at the farewell????

-Matthew M

Anonymous said...

I think this week was a fun week

Signed Tyler :)

Anonymous said...

I am actually really sad we are leaving Birds Hill School.
And that was a really impressive speech Jason!
By Jaedan

Anonymous said...

Jason that was a really good speech
caeden

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the farewell!!! But mostly the cake!!!
-Abbey

Anonymous said...

Good speech Jason


BY: Jayden

Anonymous said...

Impressive! So looking forward to hearing about all the successes these kids will have in their future. A talented, special group - the Ms Wasney's class of 2015!