Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Writing in a different voice is a challenge . . . but fun!

We have been working hard on a novel study over the last few weeks! We are currently reading Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat. The students have to complete a job for each chapter, and then we will be working on final projects when we finish the book. The final projects are my favourite part of Novel Study! Today, the task was to retell the events of Chapter 6 in the voice of a different character. This was the best chapter to do this with because the setting is a pet parade with a wide variety of characters! When I was introducing the job, I saw a sea of confused faces . . . until I demonstrated (literally standing on a chair!) and shared what I was looking for in this writing job. I was so pleased with what the students came up with! Several students wrote in the voice of animals, not just people! When Emmy was done her work, she decided to take it one step further and wrote in the voice of Railay and Wilton! These are so adorable, I just had to share. Try clicking on the picture to get a larger view!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats soo cool emmy.
Emily

Anonymous said...

awesome job emmy!
i did one of maxx. was it hard to be a dogs voice?
love it

alyssa

Anonymous said...

ruff-ruff, WOOF!! WOOF!!! grrrrr......ruff!

Translation;
Thanks Emmy for using me in your work! You must be a very good listener. You know lots of stories about me! I do get dressed up, but only for fun, not everyday:) I did fall in the pool and had to get saved. Did you know Railay fell in the pool too and Auntie Leah had to scoop her out? I would LOVE to go to a Jets game and eat some popcorn and cotton candy. But I don't think I'd be allowed to!

xoxo
Wilton